http://www.bigbubblers.com Big Soap Bubblers
Big Bubblers and Big Bubble Lover

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   

What's your favorite Bubble Mix Formula
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Soap Bubblers Forum Index -> Big Bubbling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Bubbler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject: What's your favorite Bubble Mix Formula Reply with quote

Please tell us your favorite Big Bubbling Mix formula and something about it.

Last edited by Big Bubbler on Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Big Bubble Magic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: BBM(tm) 2005 Big Bubbling Home Brew Formula Reply with quote

When Proctor and Gambel (maker of Dawn and Joy) messed up the dishsoap formulas again (so our regular simple formulas quit working), we began to look for a new one. In 2005 "Ehud the Bubbleman" joined in the fun here in Oregon. He became somewhat obsessed with bubbling and with very open-minded bubble formula experiments. After hundreds of hours of testing my ideas and his ideas and those discussed on the Soapbubblefanciers Yahoo group, we now have a formula that works well (even in light to medium rain)! I present it here so everyone can make big bubbles:

This batch makes a full 5 gallon bucketful and costs me about $25-$30:
sorry, I don't have the metric conversions handy.

The Base Mix:
1 and 1/2 Gallons of steam distilled (only) water
60 ounces Miracle Bubbles
40 ounces Super Miracle Bubbles
20 to 25 ounces Dawn Complete (Dishsoap), green or blue
25 ounces Dawn Lift-Action, red (wildflower Medley) or Yellow
This, I call the base mix. This seems to store pretty well and so I wait to add other stuff until I'm within one or two days of bubble time where I will use it all up.

The "lubes":
Also, in advance, I mix up the "lubes" with another 2 gallons of water.
Some of the "lubes" need to be premixed a day ahead.
4 ounces Astroglide (personal Lubricant), purple box into one gallon of water. (Found in the unmentionables department)
2 and 1/2 ounces of Equate (personal Lubricant)(a walmart brand) into 1/2 Gallon of water. wallmart sucks and you may be able to substitute a pharmacy product called Surgilube.
6 to 8 ounces Light Karo Corn Syrup into 1/2 Gallon of water.
Shake the lubes occasionally and before adding to the base mix.

The Beer:
Lastly, one beer. We use an 11 ounce "Full Sail Session" Lager (5.1% alch.)
The beer is not crucial, if it is not an option. Try your mix without it and then add it to see what you think. We think it helps.

This is new and complicated. Improvements are very likely and we hope people will report them here. Half as much Glycerine is often substituted for the corn syrup. "Mr Bubbles" bubble mix is often given higher reviews when compared to "Miracle Bubbles". My feeling is that the Mr. is a better product, however, it was not really available here in large amounts (company stopped production in 2005 and shipping is cheaper from California's Miracle Co.). I do not know if the 2005 mix would be better with the Mr.. Increasing the Dawn complete (while decreasing the Lift action) will make the mix more self-healing and better for bubble tricks.

Big Bubble Magic(tm) is testing and experimenting in hopes of providing our own line of bubble mix products for sale. Hopefully we will come up with something ready to use, less expensive, better than the 2005 mix and something that can be shipped dry. Time will tell, KellyO
[/b]
Gilbert_the_Guppy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: BBM(tm) 2005 Big Bubbling Home Brew Formula Reply with quote

Big Bubble Magic wrote:
When Proctor and Gambel (maker of Dawn and Joy) messed up the dishsoap formulas again (so our regular simple formulas quit working), we began to look for a new one....

If not all of this is used up right away, can it be put away and stored for awhile without significant degradation? About how long before it goes "stale?"

Gilbert the Guppy

><((((>
Big Bubble Magic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: BBM(tm) 2005 Big Bubbling Home Brew Formula Reply with quote

I can't say for sure as it is a new formula and I give my extras to Ehud the Bubbleman. He always needs more mix and I want to be sure they do not go bad (get wasted).
Fully mixed and clean, the formula may last weeks in the 40 degreeF to 60 degreeF range. If you get any kind of dirt in it, it will have bacteria that I think will make it last less well - especially warm.
I think the base mix stores well for months, if clean. The beer is likely the worst part to add if you are going to try warm storage. The cornsyrup does not handle getting cold (below maybe 40degrees?) without a precipitate forming (white cloudiness that sinks to a layer near the bottom)(that precipitate can be pretty much removed after settling for days by pouring the "clear" part off - the clear part is still good, and, I wonder if it might even be better?). Replacing the corn syrup with glycering seems likely to help with storage life.
I like to have base mix and premixed Lubes and beer ready to mix together at all times. I try to mix no more than I can use within a week.
The mix saturday night at Liquid Sunshine and Zizou's was very clean and a couple of weeks old (without the beer until that night) and, luckily, was fine. I kept it in a closed bucket in my vehicle (outdoors) to stay cool and drove it around to mix it a bit during the interim. Happy Halloween, KellyO
Big Bubbler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:35 am    Post subject: Eric asks what to do about P & G's phaseout of lift acti Reply with quote

FWD "I'm trying to make your recommended recipe. It calls for "Dawn Lift-
Action". It appears Proctor & Gamble does not make it anymore. Do you
have a suggestion for a replacement OR should I simply double the amount
or Regular Dawn & water?

Thank You

Eric"
Big Bubbler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:43 am    Post subject: what to use instead of "lift action" Reply with quote

So, if I say what i like now, here, P & G may stop making it as i wonder if they do not like bubblers? Anyway, we are now using a Joy product that is antibacterial and kinda dark to dirty orange. I don't remember the name off-hand. It seems to have some of the properties of "complete" and may be best used as a replacement for both liftaction and complete. I do prefer lift action and still have some of the (rare?) old bottles for special occasions.
Eric

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Lube confusion Reply with quote

I have a couple of ?'s regarding this portion of the "Secret Formula" recipe:

The "lubes":
Also, in advance, I mix up the "lubes" with another 2 gallons of water.
Some of the "lubes" need to be premixed a day ahead.
4 ounces Astroglide (personal Lubricant), purple box into one gallon of water. (Found in the unmentionables department)
2 and 1/2 ounces of Equate (personal Lubricant)(a walmart brand) into 1/2 Gallon of water. wallmart sucks and you may be able to substitute a pharmacy product called Surgilube.
6 to 8 ounces Light Karo Corn Syrup into 1/2 Gallon of water.
Shake the lubes occasionally and before adding to the base mix.

1- does the above imply that you have 3 separate containers for the lubes and that they stay separate until 1-2 days before making the bubbles? VERSUS simply adding the Astroglide, Equate & Karo (or glycerin) to two gallons of water?

2- is the ratio approx. 1:1 (base : lubes)?

Thanks,
Eric
catnap426

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried many times to make your bubble recipe with the same results. I usually make a smaller batch about a gallon at a time . I double check the ratios of ingredients to water carefully, but I always get the same result: The solution feeds off the wands great and makes big bubbles alright, but my problem is that they are always very weak in color and longevity. They come off the wand all spotty and clear and do not last long at all.

What adjustments beed to be made to the solution? This is my current Mix Ratio:

Base: 19 oz, Water--Steam Distilled
6 oz. Miracle Bub
4 oz . Super Miracle bub
2.5 oz. Dawn Complete
2.5 oz. Dawn Lift Action
I have since run out of Dawn Lift Action and am Using All Dawn Complete

Lubes: 2 TBS KY
1 TBS Equate
2 oz Glycerine Humco
26 oz water--Steam Distilled
I have even upped the lubes and glycerine a bit in an effort to find a solution to bubble longevity. I don't know how crucial the beer is but when I i add it I notice no change.

I can see the potential of this mix because it flows endlesly off my wand making huge long bubbles that unfortunately pop almost immediatly. Please can you please tell me what I'm missing here? Yes, I did try cooking my Dawn before hand or leaving the base mix open for 2 days before using it. HELP! I want this to work!
What adjustments are needed?

Thanks, Bryce
catnap426

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did try Astroglide but it started getting expensive. Is it crucial to use it? Please make any corrections to the above recipe ratio and it will be greatly appreciated. I live in Hawaii where it is rather humid. Thanks, Bryce
catnap426

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, The mix ratio given above for for my smaller portion of your bubble mix is actually for about 1/2 gallon NOT 1 Gallon.
But I still have the Same Problem. Please help. Thanks, Bryce
Big Bubbler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: answering mix questions Reply with quote

sorry this is a slow reply, i was not getting notified of replies.

I do have seperate containers of pre-diluted lubes at all times. I'm not sure it matters to keep them seperate. The corn syrup does grow mold or something after time. Best not to mix it too early.

I have not checked the ratio of lubes to diluted base mix. I have heard it might be better to use one less gallon of water.

Quote:
"and makes big bubbles alright, but my problem is that they are always very weak in color and longevity. They come off the wand all spotty and clear and do not last long at all. "

Hmmmmn. Sounds like an air quality problem except for the "spotty" thing is new to me. The bigger the bubble the shorter they live, so longevity is always a problem. Perfect air is clean and moist and is needed for long life. Are you using a BBM wand or ? Try bubbling just before the sun rises into view. Thats when the colors are great. Big bubbles tend to be thinner than little bubbles and so little ones tend to have more color in imperfect lighting conditions. I trust you are making the formula correctly at the lower quantity - not checked your math. The astro is probably not crucial, id add more equate to replace any lost astro. I see u used KY, that may be your problem? I see u also added glycerine. I'd go back to corn syrup. Post again if this does not solve your issues.

a PS If the spots are colorful and at night, u may be referring to the lighting speckles that bubbles all have when lights are pointed at them in the dark. Or, the spotting might be an ingredient that has not dissolved fully in the mix?
catnap426

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:20 am    Post subject: Short lived Bubbles 2-4 Seconds Reply with quote

I have tried Corn Syrup as well in the place of glycerine and still have had no luck in achieving a stout bubble mix.

I don't think that I have a dirty air problem where I bubble. I have used Cricket Hill Powder and Beeboo whith abolutely no problems...both gave me excellent bubbles.

As soon as the bubble (maybe a small 3 foot diameter one) leaves the wand it will live for about only 3-4 seconds. This is early in the morning at the school down the road...Calm, no direct sun yet, dew still on the grass. It almost seems as though the mix is not strong or stout enough. Can't figure it out quite.

By the way, what did Eric mean when you guys were talking about the ratios of Diluted Base Mix to Lubes?. You mentioned that it might be better to use 1 less gallon of water for the lubes.
Does this mean that for a full sized mix (about 5 Gallons)...will that 1 less gallon of water used to mix lubes bring the total amount of mix down to 4 Gallons instead?

What happends to that 1 less gallon of water taken away from the lube mixture? Is it added o the base mix to keep the total amount of mix to about 5 gallons? Or is that 1 gallon eliminated from the total amount of mix all together to get a total of 4 gallons of mix instead of 5?

By the way, I do not use a wand made by BBM. The strings I use are made up of a number of strands of braided 100% cotton string. I have experimented and varied the number of strings so that my string speed is of somewhat a medium speed sort of. Too many strings woven in a loose braid caused the mix to pull slowly off the strings. Too little amount of strands braided a little tighter did not hold enough mix to create big bubbles. The strings I use now feel good... just to give you an idea, if I wanted to I can plop out about 7-9 3 footers per dip. All of them are rather clear from the start and quickly seem to thin out quickly and pop. Do you think it's my strings? I don't think so, but 'I'm not sure now...but I don;t think so. I don't know.

I've gone back and double checked my math on my smaller batch of mix, and it seems to look okay...Give or take a couple of ounces or so of water...not enough to make an impact. My lube amount may seem a bit high, but I made it higher in an effort to remedy the problem I have described.... no help. Do you think I need less water or more detergent? After reading the above what are your thoughts? Any advice would be welcome indeed. I feel that there is just that one little some thing I'm missing or failing to do right.

Sorry for such a long post, I always have a problem with that!

Thanks Again, Bryce
catnap426

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: Eric, How is your mix going? Reply with quote

Eric, Just curious on how your mix is going. Have you had a chance to try it yet? What kind of material are you using for your wand strings. Have you had any luck finding the Joy anti-bacterial stuff to sub in for the Lift Action?

I have since been running out of Lift Action and have been using all Dawn Complete until I can get my mix to perform better. Then I will try again with the last of my Lift Action bottles until it is all gone.

Are you making full portion mixes or smaller portions? Sorry for all the bothersome questions, but maybe we can help each other out here. Thanks, Bryce
catnap426

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Dawn Botanicals? Reply with quote

I was down at my local department store reading through the labels of the soap bottles the other week and noticed that on the back of the Dawn Botanicals bottles it mentions something about
"Dawns Lift Action Formula." I almost bought some, but I figured that if this were the new "relabeled-renamed" version of Dawn Lift Action I would have heard so by now, so I did not buy. There are tons of these on the shelves, along with yet an ample supply of Dawn Complete..all flavors. The Lift Action bottles I use, and have been running out of, have the original oval yellow and blue "Lift Action" logo on the front of the bottle.

I had no luck finding the Joy Antibacterial...or maybe I overlooked it.

Bryce
Big Bubble Magic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:55 am    Post subject: Still too clear and short lived, etc. Reply with quote

Well, Yes, the idea of one less gallon of water would mean a smaller quantity of mix (around 4 instead of around 5 gallons). This might be better for certain weather conditions? I have not really tested the idea much as my formula was working for me as is.

Sounds like u are testing at the best time. Sounds like u have the string thing figured out. I assume u do not have auto' motors running up wind of u. I'm not sure what to think of the comment that C' Hill and Bee Bo's worked better than my formula. Since in my tests, mine worked better, i am guessing u must have changed something in my formula? Maybe it is the stuff u say u changed? When i look at your formula, it seems u may have replaced the 4 oz of astro with twenty oz of glycerine (I think i suggested two oz of glycerine could be substituted). I have seen people suggest huge amounts of glycerine were good for them. I have not found this helpful and wonder if that is your problem - if i am calculating correctly. I agree it is not likely to be a little change in water amount. I would try to go back to my exact mix formula ratios. All dawn complete ought to be fine for pretty big bubbles that last as well as any mix. They have changed the bottle on dawn complete, howver, it seems to still be good. Do u use the same water when mixing up the commercial formulas? I think the owner of C' Hill suggested tap water might be better for his mix than distilled? Maybe that's what i need Smile?

BTW, There are other bubblers in Hawaii. They can probably be found thru
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/soapbubblefanciers/
I do not know what mix they are using.

Quote:
noticed that on the back of the Dawn Botanicals bottles it mentions something about
"Dawns Lift Action Formula."

Yes, i saw that. I do not know if it is lift action as i have not run out of my stockpile and been emboldened enough to test it (I can't afford to make bad mix due to my finances these days). I have a feeling it would work almost as well. I think u will find a successful pure "complete" batch will be so "self healing" that long tubes will divide into many nice bubbles. I need to avoid this "problem", however, I think most people would find it an enjoyable mix to use.

Hopeful i found the problem, KellyO
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Soap Bubblers Forum Index -> Big Bubbling Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: